Sunday 17 January 2010

Sophie's Saucy Chicken Legs

Monday 11th January 2010

There was no school and Sophie (13) offered to cook dinner (it was music to my ears). She is quite a whiz in the kitchen and although she was inspired by her DK cookbook, she is like me and does her own thing. And I have to say, it was quite a thing. I meanly gave her 4 drumsticks to deal with, thinking smugly that I could lick everyone’s bones, as they are usually so wasteful. Well, I went hungry, the bones were licked clean, the meat just melted and you really didn’t even need teeth. How do I know? I watched them (hungrily) and they all said it was lush. I regretted not giving her that extra drumstick!

Sophie’s Saucy Chicken Legs

Serves 4

Preparation time, 10 minutes, cooking time, 4 hours

chicken drumsticks, x4,

ketchup, x1 long squirt

soya sauce, tamari, x4 tbsp

honey, clear runny x4 tbsp

lime, a good squeeze

sunflower oil, x2 tbsp

garlic clove, crushed, x2

mustard, French's squirty, x1 squirt

pepper, red, x1 finely chopped

sweet chili sauce, x 1 tsp (optional)

Whizz up all ingredients in the zummer. Place drumsticks onto a large piece of foil. Smear marinade over them. Wrap up foil so drumsticks are well sealed, with no peaky holes, but with enough air inside to steam them. Cook on hot, 200°C for half an hour. Turn oven down to 150°C for a couple of hours (or more). When nearly ready to eat, turn up oven to 200°C, unwrap foil and brown for half an hour turning once.

Sophie served this with an exotic salad (with flecks of red cabbage), and her Spicy Potato Wedges. It was clean plates all round, 3 cheers for Sophie! Thank you!!

Amanda Nantgwynfaen

www.organicfarmwales.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment